Sunday 8 October 2023

Croydon 15th August 1940: British NSF eyewitness accounts and photos

 As we saw in the British Pathe film (https://blitzincidents.blogspot.com/2023/10/british-pathe-bombed-factory-croydon.html) the British NSF factory was wrecked in the attack.  The entrance fronting Queens Way looked like this:


The company British NSF was so-called because it had split off from the original German company Neurenberger Schraubenfabrik (NSF) under two German-Jewish brothers, Hans and Justin Saemann.  For more details see:

https://nsfcontrols.co.uk/a-short-history-of-nsf-controls/

or http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/hellschreiber-components.htm (scroll down to halfway down)

The company made components for electrical equipment and many of the Croydon staff described their job as involving parts for radios or wirelesses.


The fullest eyewitness statement was by Joseph Cotton:

I was feeling a bit tired so I went round by the time office to look at the clock. It was five minutes to seven and I decided I would knock off at seven. I took off my overalls and hung them on a nail, opened my drawer to get my soap to have a wash. Somebody had nabbed mine so I borrowed Ron’s and went down the end of the shop to the washroom.

It was quieter here than out in the shop and the splashing and water was the only sound. I was hypnotised by the way in which the lather dropped from my hands in big dirty blobs and went swirling round and round before vanishing down the plughole.  I’d go to the pictures tonight I decided.

There was a crash.  Like thunder it was: like the sheet-metal thunder you hear in amateur theatricals, a thousand times magnified.  The floor, concrete, was shaking.  Air blasted in through the door hit me like a whip-lash.  I went down on the floor close to the wall.

Paddy burst in and flopped down beside me.  “It’s all right mate,” he was shouting, “it’s all right.”  A big sheet of plywood fell from above and landed beside us, we pulled it up over us and glass and brick beat down upon it.  Crash followed crash.  We could hear the whine of each bomb – every one was coming straight at us and we clung close together like a couple of kids.  We were afraid – those bombs were close.

Paddy’s face was close to mine, his nose was bleeding, blood running down and dripping off his chin.

“The bastards,” he yelled in my ear. “The dirty German bastards.”

Explosions were coming from underneath us.  I was waiting for the floor to open up and hurl us skywards.  There came a lapse and we lifted our heads.

Plaster dust filled the air and I could not see across to the other wall.  Paddy saw the dust and yelled, “It’s gas.  The bastards are dropping gas.”  He struggled up, remained for a moment as a blurred silhouette in the doorway, then vanished from view.

The dust was down my throat, I could not breathe and wanted a drink.  I crawled out from under the plywood and went over to the sinks.  Falling brick had knocked the bottom out of most of them.  I put my mouth under the tap and drank.  I noticed a poem pencilled on the whitewashed wall – it concerned the foreman.  A piece of chewing gum was stuck there too.

I could hear the rising note of an aircraft engine and dived under the plywood once more.  More explosions and whining.  Crashes that made the whole scene shake like the picture thrown on a sheet by a cheap cine projector.

How lonely I felt.  I wished Paddy had not gone.  The dust cleared a little and I could see out through the door.  I got an impression of a great crack racing diagonally across the face of a wall.  It sagged, bulged, then fell like a man struck behind the knees.  I could see deep blue sky and clouds where the roof had been.

Then it was quiet.  I kicked the protective plywood away and sat leaning against the wall for some moments.  I thought: “How many are dead?  Quite a few, I bet.”  The door was hanging on one hinge.

“How am I – all there?  Not a scratch.”  A procession of people was passing the door, feet crunching on the glass-strewn floor.  They nearly had cut heads from the fallen glass.

Two men went by carrying a third between them.  One of his shoes had come off, there was a hole in the heel of his sock.

“Poor devil.  How bloody his face is. Wonder if Ron and Moggie and the other blokes are O.K.?”

Small pieces of glass were still dropping, tinkling, to the floor, like the rain drips from trees when the storm has passed.

“Better get out.”

I got up, passed out into the shop and picked my way between benches, over the floor strewn with brick and glass to where my coat hung.  I slung it over my arm and walked to the other end of the shop.  A bomb had landed close here.  Figures were stretched out between the benches.  First aid-men were passing among them.  They lay where they had fell and the falling dust settling upon them had transformed them into so many statues and made them a part of the debris in which they lay.

There were pieces of men, too.

I went into the street.  A Ford V8 was lying upside down on the roof of the building opposite.  Falling telegraph poles had festooned the roofs with wire.

The road was covered with glass and brick and steel girder-work from roofs.  One building was on fire and a column of black smoke rose into the blue evening sky.  Firemen were on the scene and their heavy rubber boots made a clumping noise as they moved backwards and forwards getting the hoses unrolled.

People were still coming out of the stricken buildings.  A group of girls came out, some of them with faces stained a shocking crimson with blood from head cuts.  Some were hysterical.

Two men in shrapnel helmets carried a figure out on a stretcher and placed it near to where I was standing.  It was a woman and her clothes had been blasted off.  She lay very still.  I wondered if she was dead.  The row of silent helpless figures grew longer and cars were commandeered to get them to hospital.

I knew some of those silent figures.  It could not be reality.  Things like this never happen to people you know – only to persons you read of in the newspapers or see in the newsreels.

At this point the air-raid sirens blared out, tearing on nerves that had already been taxed to the utmost.  I went down a ditch by the side of a factory wall.  People were running in every direction.  Ambulance men were trying to get a stretcher through the narrow entrance to a shelter.

Spitfires and Hurricanes roared by overhead, forming a protective circle around the stricken area.  Some people saw them and just flung themselves flat, hands covering their ears.  “They’re our boys.  It’s O.K. They’re ours,” someone shouted.

A man walked slowly across the road and sat down on a pile of bricks, his right coat sleeve had gone and his arm was severely lacerated.  A friend put a cigarette in his mouth and lit it for him.  He looked up at him, smiled quietly, then drew on his cigarette and started at the ground as he drew patters in the dust with the toe of his shoe.

The planes had gone and it was very quiet, save for the crackling of flames.  Beside me in the ditch was a heap of big cardboard boxes.  Some had burst open – they contained radio sets.

There were no more bombs and the “All clear” soon sounded.  I caught sight of Ron across the road, pulling his bike out from under a pile of bricks.

“Bloody awful, wasn’t it?” he said.

“Yes,” I replied, “I lost your soap.”  We laughed – we could afford to laugh, for we had been very lucky.

(titled Mechanic in an Air Raid, from “Lilliput Goes to War” (1985) edited by Kaye Webb)


The factory seen from the roof of the neighbouring Bourjois building (from Cluett et al)

Joss Spiller was in the toolroom:

“As we had steam and impregnating boilers, my first reasoning was that they had exploded, but almost immediately I realised the terrible truth, for I heard the screaming of a bomb, if not bombs.  Mr Parker of the machine shop was shouting ‘Bloody Nazis!’ and everything was so black. Then there was a gush of fire and I realised that the gas main had been struck. After the second explosion I must have blacked out for I came to under the bed of a lathe – covered with debris – which was at least 12 yards from where I had been working … You can imagine the scenes were pretty horrific to behold.” (quoted in Cluett et al "Croydon Airport and the Battle for Britain", page 76)


Vic Woods in the drawing office only realised something was wrong as “the building was falling down around me. Then people began running from the works past my office door and I was urging them to hurry.  The next thing I remember was being outside the main entrance among several parked cars when another bomb was on its way. I dived under the nearest car, when there was an almighty explosion, and rubble began to rain down on the car, which began to squash me. I said to myself, ‘Hold out, hold out, there won’t be much more, then I blacked out.” (Cluett et al, page 75)


In the photo Vic Woods is on the left, Bob Hutchings on the right (from Cluett et al)

Ernest Jones came out of the CEGB stores across the junction of Queens Way and Princes Way from NSF: “Black smoke and fire were coming up from the NSF factory.  I don’t know how many men were in there, but I’m sure they never found many of the bodies; they couldn’t have done with such a direct hit.”  (Cluett et al, page 77)






No comments:

Post a Comment